Sep 20, 2012

Grain mill upgrade

I got a mill for crushing barley nearly a year ago. Before that I was crushing grain for my extract brews (and one partial mash) with a bottle or rolling pin on a baking tray, not a fun way to start an afternoon's brewing. It's not the best one you can get but then it wasn't the most expensive either. It works fine but the hopper was pretty small and flimsy and it was only mounted on a narrow bit of ply.


I lent it to my brother the other day and now it looks like this:

What can I say? Simon has skills
The new hopper holds around 6kg of grain and sits nicely on a 20L bucket. It's more stable and easier to use. A win all round.

Some people get into brewing and love all the planning and building and really enjoy getting everything together. That's not me at all. I sometimes wish it was but all I really want to do is brew. It's awesome having Simon around to make this kind of stuff happen.

2 comments:

  1. How much did you pay for the mill originally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brad, I think it was around $150. They're not cheap but the difference it makes is huge. For me I just got to the point where I was brewing enough that it was worth the money.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...