Mar 13, 2012

Brewday - Imperial IPA

I'm still sick, still mostly stuck in bed, but still really keen to be brewing. My solution is to make someone else do the work while I get the rewards. The problem is that there are way too many beers I want to brew.

So on Friday my brother came around and was my brewing slave. I've got a 40l electric urn on its way so this is hopefully the last time I'll be brewing a half-sized batch on the stove. I was pretty keen to try out Galaxy hops for the first time and brew something big and imposing.

And that was my mistake. Thanks to a pot that was more full than usual and a gutless stovetop and really bad efficiency, we ended up with too much wort and an OG of something around 1.050. I should have known that it wouldn't work out properly with the equipment I have. Oh well, the first sample tasted delicious and it's just possible that it won't end up as nasty hop juice.

What it should have been: Recipe on Hopville
Artist's impression of the finished product
'Battlestar Galactica' 11.5l
OG: 1.081
FG:  1.016 
IBU: 128

4kg Pale malt
175g Table sugar
60g Crystal 120 ebc
40g Caramunich II

35 Galaxy @ 60 min
40 Galaxy @ 10 min
40 Galaxy @ 0 min
45 Galaxy @ Dry hop

Yeast: US-05

I took a sample yesterday and it tastes like it's going to turn into a nice Pale Ale. I don't know what happened with the bittering hops, it should be bitter enough to dissolve my tongue. But it's not, instead, it looks like it will turn into a happy mistake.

2 comments:

  1. Nope, it is clearly an utter failure that I would be willing to take off your hands. I won't even charge you for the privilege!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a generous man, Jason. Some of it may well be headed your way in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...