Apr 28, 2012

A new beer resolution

One of my favourite beer related memories is of 'Friday beers', a tradition that started in my last year of study and included anyone who was around knocking off at 3pm on Friday, coming around to my place and having a few drinks, debriefing, laughing and/or arguing.

The beer wasn't amazing stuff. The usual was Boags Draught unless something else was on special. But it was fine and looking back, Friday beers remains one of the highlights of that part of my life.


I was thinking about this because looking at the cupboard where my bottled beer lives, I don't have a beer in there that would quite do for a Friday beers type event or that I could give to a friend who's interested but not an adventurous beer drinker. I like big and bold flavours and that's what I gravitate to when I brew. The beers aren't bad, they all taste somewhere between decent and really good, and my beer geek friends like them, but none of them are quite right for a gathering that has beer but isn't beer centric.

I think that's a shame. Beer shouldn't be bad but it also shouldn't be inaccessible or pretentious. It also shouldn't need to be the centre of attention in a social setting but rather be the lubricant that helps the wheels turn. I want to have something on hand that can easily be thrown in the mix at a bbq or when having a few mates around that is nice and drinkable for someone who isn't a big or adventurous beer drinker as well as those who enjoy craft beer.

So I thought about what styles would probably get the job done. I came up with: 
  • Ordinary/Best Bitter
  • Irish Red Ale
  • Australian Pale Ale
  • Kolsch
  • Witbier
  • Mild
  • Pilsner/Lager
And looking at it, I actually find that list intimidating. I've just brewed an Irish Red Ale so we'll have to see how that turns out but they all strike me as beers that are hard to do well. There are two difficulties: they're so simple that it's rarely going to be memorable and there's nowhere to hide off flavours. It really demands a good process and ingredients.

Getting on top of a couple of these styles is now one of my projects. They're not likely to set anyones world on fire but hopefully I can brew something that's an easy and pleasant drink that will contribute to more great beer memories.

4 comments:

  1. I reckon an imperial pilsner would be ideal. A 8% beast with drinkability high on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking first off that I should get the basic versions down but I do like the idea of then doing something like an Imperial Pils. Have you come across Doctor's Orders Black Lung? It's a black Imperial Pilsner. It's not available down in Tas afaik but I'd love to get my hands on some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have and it was okay. I think the mikkeller draft bear changed my life though. A massive pilsner, with drinkability to boot. A dangerous combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You guys seem to get heaps of great stuff. Mikkeller does my head in, he just produces such a variety of different brews. The guy's knowledge must be phenomenal. The only problem is that most of his beers aren't the kind you can sit around drinking for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...