Apr 27, 2012

Wild yeast update #2

It's been about six weeks since I collected the wild yeast. Two of the jars grew mould and were chucked. The other two were promising and they were stepped up into 250 ml erlenmeyer flasks.

The most promising one is now in a 2l erlenmeyer flask, growing and getting ready to do its thing in a batch of beer. I tasted it and when I failed to die my mate Luke sampled it too.

Jar #3 was the wild yeast winner
I'm finding it really hard to describe. The dominant citrus character has given way to something else. Earthy is the word that comes to mind but that's one of those nothing descriptions that I use when I can't really get any closer to the reality. It doesn't smell anything like dirt. Spicy or herbal are descriptors that nibble around the edges of the aroma but don't really get at the heart of it. I don't know. Maybe a menthol kind of flavour going on? Strange. That's all I've got. It's definitely turning into something else and I guess I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

One thing I was a bit concerned about was how well it would attenuate. It seemed to have done a pretty good job of dealing with the malt extract though. Not really dry, there was some slight residual sweetness but it seemed to have a pretty average attenuation, somewhere in between an English Ale and a dry IPA.

Can't wait to try this Tassie wild yeast in a beer
I'm thinking of using it in something relatively low alcohol and simple for its first run. Something like a Wit maybe. Not sure.

The other one, from jar #4, got tipped. It was starting to grow some mould and I wasn't willing to try and salvage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...