Sep 1, 2013

Double Brewday: Saison and Export Stout

Some more brewing today. Thanks to merging my brewing equipment with my brother's, we can easily do two batches at once when fermentation space permits. It's a bit late to get getting going but I'm hoping to get a few different beers ready for a brewing competition. There's no brewing club in Tasmania so I'll be entering the ACT one. Of course I'd like to do well but getting good written feedback will be useful either way.

I'm looking forward to the Saison because I've stepped up a starter from the dregs of a bottle of Saison Dupont. The fermentation will kick off at 22C and I'll step it up to the mid 30s over the course of the week. Can't wait to see what comes of this one.

The Stout is more or less the same recipe as I've brewed twice before. I've gone for flaked barley this time instead of rye and I used Aramis hops instead of the Northern Brewer and Fuggles I've used in the past. I've upped the gravity a little. It's a recipe I know fairly well and I'd like to continue to work on it with different varieties of yeast.

The Tripel I brewed last week has been tasting delicious out of the fermenter. I've added sugar in two stages and it should be ready to bottle in a day or two.


A quiet drink, a great view and a sour I brewed last year

Saison (23L batch)
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.008
ABV: 6.4%
IBU: 27
Colour: 9 EBC

97.5% Belgian Pilsner
2.5% Caramunich II

25g Aramis @ 90 min
25g Saaz @ 20 min


Export Stout (19L batch)
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.013
ABV: 7.3%
IBU: 55
Colour: 83 EBC

83% Maris Otter
8% Flaked Barley
5% Roast Barley
2% Chocolate Malt
2% Black Malt

66g Aramis @ 90 min

15g US-05

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...